Monday, July 21, 2008

The "I'm Not Going Anywhere Near South Beach" Anytime Soon Diet

So Beeps and I decided to lose some weight after lunching with some friends who swore to us that they are doing the South Beach Diet and are losing pounds safely and successfully. It was perfect timing for us. Our fridge was bare of almost all sweets, fruits and carbs (So I didn't need to feel guilty about throwing anything away) and I recently bought a bathing suit/ moomoo to cover my bulges should I happen to brave any type of public swimming situation. Plus, doing it together would be a huge incentive, especially since Beeps likes to snack on all sorts of carbs, chips, cookies, and although I don't often purchase those items at the supermarket, they somehow manage to sneak themselves into the house. Thus I partake.

We are in "Phase 1". This is where you cut out all sweets, sugar, carbs, fruit and {GASP!} alcohol. But I was determined and told Beeps that if he could do it, I could do it. The first week was hard (we started last Sunday) and we survived a friend's 40th b-day as well as the weekend. And we are still carb/ alcohol free. (Man, I'm dying for a glass of wine.) We still have one week to go, and if we made it through one, we can make it through one more.

I'm not sure I've lost any weight tho (Which is surprising since I seem to be eating very little compared to what I used to eat). But the book says you can lose between 8 and 15 pounds in Phase 1. So i'm optimistic. The good news is that I think I'm already a smarter eater overall. I understand the way carbs work and that will help me moderate my intake.

Right now tho, I'm getting a bit sick of eggs, chicken, fish, and veggies. I'm ready for some fruit. That's what I really miss. But after the 2 weeks I can start to introduce fruit back into my diet.

So regardless of whether I lose the weight, I have learned the following:

1. Waking up on the weekend without a hangover is nice and you get so much more done.
2. Club soda with lime is rather refreshing when you're desperate.
3. Watching other people get drunk is pretty funny.
4. The spray version of cooking oils, salad dressings, and butter, aren't as bad as they sound (For the environment tho, now that's debatable).
5. Counting nuts is annoying.
6. Low fat string cheese is an amazing invention.
7. I still don't know what is in those artificial sweeteners, and I never want to find out.
8. Getting old is hard.
9. I'm jonesing really hard for a large Dunkin Donuts iced mocha latte.

And finally,
10. Despite the inhuman amounts of vegetables I have consumed in the past week, I haven't pooped in days.


So that's that. I'll be sure to keep you all posted about the diet in the coming days (as I'm sure you'll be anxiously awaiting my next bowel movement.)

Until then Townies.